SPARXiQ – Remote
Director, Empower Instructional Design & Content Strategy 2022-present
- Lead initiative to produce crowdsourced and vendor content for the Empower IB2B hub to drive knowledge transfer.
- Shoot and edit video content with instructional design and adult learning principles.
- Edited five-part 2.5 hour educational web series about virtual selling and communication technology with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
- Produced and edited tech tips video campaign that teaches professionals how to leverage technology to improve remote workplace communication.
- Support sales effectiveness across industrial manufacturer and distributor clients.
- Collaborate with SPARXiQ Studios team to create training and promotional videos.
- Create strategies to incorporate emerging technologies and leverage AI for training and communication.
- Support marketing initiatives with digital media production, webinar and conference presentations.
- Produced and edited video campaign to promote new artificial intelligence app, Amicus Brain.
- Created wireframe, UX and UI prototype for new app using Adobe XD.
University of South Florida Tampa, FL – Remote
Digital and Video Production Instructor 2019-2022
Digital Journalism Visiting Instructor 2017-2019
Broadcast News Adjunct Instructor 2015-2017
- Received the 2020-2021 Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, which recognizes excellence and innovation in teaching and learning experience design.
- Taught 38 classes about TV production, digital media, storytelling, videography, video editing, writing, social media and web design totaling 1,237 hours of live in-person training and 550 hours of live online training.
- Oversaw $1.8 million renovation at WUSF-TV studios for the Zimmerman School of Advertising and Mass Communications as part of a partnership with USF’s instructional design team.
- Served on several hiring committees for the Zimmerman School and Provost Office.
- Work with chief technology officer, engineering manager and product managers as co-chair of enabling technology and digital communities committees to lead high-level content strategy for adult education.
- Create and implement learning and development training for faculty as school’s first innovation fellow.
- Design and create interactive learning experiences using 360-degree media, AR and VR.
- Use strategic instructional design principles including Bloom’s Taxonomy, SAM and ADDIE to create online courses on Canvas LMS using Articulate 360 Storyline, Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Teams, and Box.
- Create style guide and increased engagement as the Zimmerman School website and social media manager.
- Maintain 4.9 out of 5 student evaluation of instructor rating, which is the highest rating in the school.
- Courses I designed, developed, and taught were recognized with the following awards:
- 2022- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Suncoast Student Production Award for TV show about Trayvon Martin’s legacy.
- 2021 – Telly Award and National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences nomination for TV show about how VR and AR will save education.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about voter suppression in the 2020 election.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about Florida re-opening during the pandemic.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about the pandemic’s impact on small businesses.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about racial disparities in COVID-19 healthcare.
- 2020 – Tampa Bay Association of Black Journalists Best Online Story Award for video about Sarasota’s first Black mayor.
- 2020 – Tampa Bay Association of Black Journalists awarded thousands of dollars in scholarships to students of color for the social justice series I oversaw that aired on Tampa’s PBS TV station.
- 2018 – Tampa Bay Association of Black Journalists First Place Radio Feature Award for “Telling Tampa Bay Stories” series that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hashtag Our Stories Tampa, FL – Remote
Mobile Journalist 2019
- Produced and reported video stories at international solutions journalism company for teens and young adults that got millions of views on Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Trained people to use cell phones to create selfie journalism stories for social media that celebrate diversity.
- Developed story ideas that challenge prejudice and empower underrepresented communities.
University of South Florida Tampa, FL – Remote
Virtual Tour Producer 2018-2019
- Produced 360-degree photo shoots and videos to showcase USF colleges on VR campus tours.
- Edited VR photos and videos with Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro for YouVisit virtual tour platform.
- Strategized with USF college leaders and subject matter experts to craft messaging and visuals for virtual tour.
WFLA NBC 8 Tampa, FL
News Producer 2013-2016
- Developed, launched and oversaw five new newscasts on traditional and virtual sets in America’s 11th largest TV market for Tampa’s NBC station.
- Trained producers to write conversational and impactful news scripts.
- Trained producers to strategically craft TV shows to increase Nielsen ratings.
- Worked with graphic design team to create compelling visuals to enhance storytelling.
- Interviewed subject matter experts and helped them concisely and clearly communicate complex information.
- Assigned videographers and directed video editors.
- Worked closely with director to lead live breaking news coverage.
- Enhanced workflow with promotions department and enabled team to drive ratings by working ahead to discover compelling stories earlier in the editorial process.
San Diego Union-Tribune U-T TV San Diego, CA
Assistant News Director 2013
- Managed team of executive producers, content creators, engineers, producers and social media managers in America’s 28th largest TV market that won five Emmy Awards.
- Trained 125 print and digital journalists on broadcast and social platforms.
- Analyzed qualitative data from focus groups to improve content creation and distribution.
- Analyzed quantitative data from Nielsen ratings to hone company’s communication strategies.
- Created and oversaw a $5.5 million budget.
- Managed commercial production.
- Promoted to Assistant News Director for exceeding goals.
Executive Producer 2012
- Launched TV station from the ground up as U-T TV’s first executive producer.
- Led build of state-of-the-art digital TV facility and live streaming platform.
- Hired team of 65 that included managers, talent, producing staff, and production crew.
- Created 13 new TV shows including news, entertainment, lifestyle and sports.
KGTV ABC 10 San Diego, CA
News Producer 2009-2012
- Won an Emmy Award for my work as an assignment editor.
- Line produced live morning and midday newscasts.
- Published AP-style digital stories and photos on 10news.com.
Museum of Science and Industry Tampa, FL
- Documented and analyzed how children interact with museum exhibits to strategize ways to enhance learning in engaging environments.
- Researched how multimedia impacts early childhood development.
WEDU PBS Tampa, FL
Production Assistant 2007-2008
- Assisted in the production of live and pre-taped TV shows and commercial production as a videographer, lighting/set designer, and grip.
- Assisted in the production of “Meet the Press” and “Washington Week.”
PhD in Curriculum and Instruction in Instructional Technology at the University of South Florida 2020-present
Master of Arts in Digital Journalism & Design at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg 2014-2015
Bachelor of Arts in Broadcast News at the University of South Florida Tampa 2005-2010
- Articulate 360: Interactive Learning 2021
- Articulate Storyline Essential Training 2021
- CITI Social and Behavioral Responsible Conduct of Research 2021
- Hootsuite Platform Certification 2020
- Mobile Journalism Certification earned at the Knight Center for Journalism 2019
- Online Instructor Certification earned at the University of South Florida 2017
- Camtasia Instructor Certification earned at the University of South Florida 2017
- Instructional design, learning experience design, instructor-led training ILD, learning, and development L&D
- Adult learning theory and instructional design strategies for performance-based outcomes
- Remote communication: Slack, Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, Discord, Box, Skype, Zoom, Teams
- Leadership: organization development, recruiting, hiring, training, mentoring, group facilitation
- Program management: managing details, collaborating with stakeholders, delivering projects on deadline
- Strategic communication, influencing senior leaders/stakeholders
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication
- Cloud file management, content management systems, media workflow, and management
- Presenting, lecturing, public speaking
- eLearning authoring with Articulate 360: Storyline 360 and Rise 360
- Video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro
- Web design and development with WordPress and basic HTML and CSS
- Learning management system Canvas
- Writing: AP-Style, APA, broadcast, script, copy
- Presented research paper at 2023 International Symposium on Education titled, “A systematic literature review of VR devices and their potential to promote learning in higher education” in South Korea.
- Produced and edited video presentations for AI app, Amicus Brain, at CES (Consumer Electronic Show) in Las Vegas 2023.
- Presented research paper at 2022 Association for Educational Communications & Technology International Convention titled, “Tools to Create Interactive Digital Communities as our World Embraces Virtual Learning.”
- Invited to speak about emerging technology for the “International Perspectives of Media Studies Experts” lecture series at Masaryk University in the Czech Republic in 2021.
- Presented research paper at 2021 Association for Educational Communications & Technology International fall conference titled, “The Loneliness Lesson: What the Pandemic Taught Teachers About Fostering Digital Communities with Interactive E-Books.”
- Presented paper at 2021 Association for Educational Communications & Technology Summer Research Symposium titled, “Forged In Fire: A Case Study of How the Class Of COVID-19 Empowered Unheard Communities in the Fight for Social Justice.”
- Presented keynote address at Mobile Movie Days MOJO conference in the Netherlands, Oct. 2019 about how mobile journalism is exposing injustices, breaking stereotypes and making a positive impact in our communities.
- Featured on panel to discuss how to use innovative technology to fight fake news and misinformation at the Mobile Movie Days MOJO conference in the Netherlands, Oct. 2019.
- Presented session about producing student TV news broadcasts during a pandemic at the National High School Journalism Convention Nov. 2020.
- Prepared and led mobile video and selfie journalism workshop at the Florida College System Publications Association Conference in Tampa, Nov. 2019.
- Taught storytelling workshop at the Florida College System Publications Association Conference in Jan. 2019.
- Telly Council and Judging Panel for The Telly Awards 2023
- Telly Council and Judging Panel for The Telly Awards 2022
- Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Judge of Student Emmy Production Awards 2021
- Chair of University of South Florida Digital Network Committee 2017-present
- Co-chair of University of South Florida Enabling Technology Committee 2020-present
- University of South Florida Digital Communities Task Force 2020-present
- USF Zimmerman School Scholarship Award Committee 2019-present
- USF Zimmerman School Social Media Committee 2019-present
- USF Zimmerman School Executive Committee 2021
- USF Zimmerman School Undergraduate Committee 2020