Digital and Video Production Instructor
University of South Florida Tampa, FL 8/15-present
- Received the 2020-2021 Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, which recognizes excellence and innovation in teaching across the university.
- Taught 31 16-week courses about multimedia storytelling, videography, video editing, graphic design, TV production, digital media, interviewing, writing, and web design totalling 1,237 hours of live in-person training and 550 hours of live online training.
- Courses I designed, developed and taught were recognized with the following awards:
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about how VR and AR will save education.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about voter suppression in 2020 election.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about Florida re-opening during the pandemic.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about the pandemic’s impact on small businesses.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about racial disparities in COVID-19 healthcare.
- 2020 – Tampa Bay Association of Black Journalists Best Online Story Award for video about Sarasota’s first Black mayor.
- 2020 – Tampa Bay Association of Black Journalists awarded thousands of dollars in scholarships to students of color for the social justice series I oversaw that aired on Tampa’s PBS TV station.
- 2018 – Tampa Bay Association of Black Journalists First Place Radio Feature Award for “Telling Tampa Bay Stories” series that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
- Maintain 4.9 out of 5 student evaluation of instructor rating, which is the best in the department.
- Use strategic instructional design principles including Bloom’s Taxonomy, SAM and ADDIE to create online courses on Canvas LMS using Articulate360 Storyline, Rise, Microsoft Teams, Box, Panopto, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Train faculty to advance technological innovation in online teaching as Faculty Innovation Fellow.
- Design and create interactive learning experiences using 360-degree media, AR and VR.
- Design, develop and assess interactive learning experiences in eBooks.
- Convert in-person courses to online.
- Redesigned courses with emerging technology to teach people how to produce daily TV news content remotely for air on Tampa’s PBS station in America’s 13th largest TV market.
- Design and measure online course modules, learning objectives, projects and quizzes to reinforce and assess learning.
- Oversee training and instruction for the Zimmerman School of Advertising and Mass Communications at WUSF-TV studios.
- Created style guide and increased engagement as the Zimmerman School web and social media manager.
- Increase student access to technology as the co-chair of the USF Enabling Technology Committee.
Virtual Tour Producer
University of South Florida Tampa, FL 6/18-5/19
- Produced 360-degree photo shoots and videos to showcase USF colleges on VR campus tour for the Innovative Education department.
- Edited VR photos and videos with Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro for YouVisit virtual tour platform.
- Strategized with USF college leaders and subject matter experts to craft messaging and visuals for virtual tour.
- Wrote scripts and produced audio recording sessions to enhance virtual tours.
WFLA NBC 8 Tampa, FL 11/13-11/16
- Developed, launched, and oversaw five new newscasts on traditional and virtual sets in America’s 11th largest TV market for Tampa’s NBC station.
- Wrote hundreds of hours of conversational and informative scripts about complex issues.
- Interviewed and collaborated with subject matter experts to produce video segments.
- Trained producers to write conversational and impactful news scripts.
- Trained producers to strategically craft TV shows to increase Nielsen ratings.
- Worked with graphic design team to create compelling visuals to enhance storytelling.
- Assigned videographers and directed video editors.
- Worked closely with director to lead live breaking news coverage.
- Enhanced workflow with promotions department and enabled team to drive ratings by working ahead to discover compelling stories earlier in the editorial process.
Assistant News Director
San Diego Union-Tribune U-T TV San Diego, CA 5/12-10/13
- Managed team of executive producers, content creators, engineers, producers and social media managers in America’s 28th largest TV market that won five Emmy Awards.
- Trained 125 print and digital journalists on broadcast and social platforms.
- Launched TV station from the ground up as U-T TV’s first executive producer.
- Hired team of 65 that included managers, talent, producing staff, and production crew.
- Led build of state-of-the-art digital TV facility and live streaming platform.
- Created and oversaw a $5.5 million budget.
KGTV ABC 10 San Diego, CA 9/09-3/12
- Won an Emmy Award for a newscast that I helped create.
- Wrote hundreds of hours of scripts that aired on in one of America’s largest TV markets.
- Interviewed subject matter experts and conducted research to simplify complex topics.
- Published AP-style web stories and photos on 10news.com.
- Line produced live morning and midday newscasts.
Museum of Science and Industry Tampa, FL 2009
- Documented and analyzed how children interact with museum exhibits to strategize ways to enhance learning in engaging environments.
- Researched how multimedia impacts early childhood development.
WEDU PBS Tampa, FL 2007-2008
- Assisted in the production of live and pre-taped TV shows and commercial production as a videographer, lighting/set designer, and grip.
- Assisted in the production of “Meet the Press” and “Washington Week.”
Certifications & Trainings
- Articulate 360: Interactive Learning 2021
- Articulate Storyline Essential Training 2021
- CITI Social and Behavioral Responsible Conduct of Research 2021
- Hootsuite Platform Certification 2020
- Mobile Journalism Certification earned at the Knight Center for Journalism 2019
- Online Instructor Certification earned at the University of South Florida 2017
- Camtasia Instructor Certification earned at the University of South Florida 2017
- Upcoming – Contributed to “Online Discussion or Real Conversation? Threaded Discussion Versus Linear Chat Versus Collaborative Responsive Writing,” which was submitted for consideration for the 2022 American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting.
- Presented research paper at 2021 Association for Educational Communications & Technology International Convention titled, “The Loneliness Lesson: What the Pandemic Taught Teachers About Fostering Digital Communities with Interactive E-Books.”
- Presented research paper at 2021 Association for Educational Communications & Technology Summer Research Symposium titled, “Forged In Fire: A Case Study of How the Class Of COVID-19 Empowered Unheard Communities in the Fight for Social Justice.”
- Presented keynote address at the Mobile Movie Days MOJO conference in the Netherlands, Oct. 2019 about how mobile journalism is exposing injustices, breaking stereotypes and making a positive impact in our communities.
- Featured on panel to discuss how to use innovative technology to fight fake news and misinformation at the Mobile Movie Days MOJO conference in the Netherlands, Oct. 2019.
- Presented session about producing student TV news broadcasts during a pandemic at the National High School Journalism Convention Nov. 2020.
- Prepared and led mobile video and selfie journalism workshop at the Florida College System Publications Association Conference in Tampa, Nov. 2019.
- Taught mobile storytelling workshop at the Florida College System Publications Association Conference in Tampa, Jan. 2019.
- PhD in Curriculum and Instruction in Instructional Technology at the University of South Florida – anticipated graduation 2022
- Master of Arts in Digital Journalism & Design at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg – 2015
- Bachelor of Arts in Broadcast News at the University of South Florida Tampa – 2010
- Instructional design
- Curriculum development
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Audition
- Adobe Photoshop
- Canvas LMS
- Canva graphic design
- WordPress design
- Script writing
- Multi-camera production
- Mobile storytelling
- Studio production
- Social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat)
- Content creation
- Multimedia storytelling
- Video editing
- Emerging technology
- Public speaking
- Remote workplace communication
- Box CMS
- Copy writing and editing