University of South Florida Tampa, FL 8/15-present
- Taught 1,237 hours of live in-person training and 360 hours of live online training.
- Maintain 4.9 out of 5 student evaluation of instructor rating, which is the best in the department.
- Taught 31 16-week courses about multimedia storytelling, videography, video editing, graphic design, TV production, wire-framing, storyboarding, writing, and web design.
- Use strategic instructional design principles to create online courses on Canvas LMS using Microsoft Teams, Box, Panopto, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Design, develop and assess interactive learning experiences in eBooks.
- Convert in-person courses to online.
- Redesigned courses with emerging technology to teach people how to produce daily TV news content remotely for air on Tampa’s PBS station in America’s 13th largest TV market.
- Design and measure online course modules, learning objectives, projects and quizzes to reinforce and assess learning.
- Train faculty to advance technological innovation in online teaching as Innovation Chief.
- Oversee training and instruction for the Zimmerman School of Advertising and Mass Communications at WUSF-TV studios.
- Created instructional multimedia content on WordPress to improve online and mobile education.
- Transformed Advanced Reporting class into an innovative multimedia mobile journalism course where students created videos using Adobe Premiere Pro and AP-style stories for WordPress.
- Transformed News Editing class to teach students to produce and analyze SEO web and social media stories.
- Created style guide and increased engagement as the Zimmerman School website and social media manager.
- Increase student access to technology as the co-chair of the USF Enabling Technology Committee.
- Courses recognized with the following awards:
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about how VR and AR will save education.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about voter suppression in 2020 election.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about Florida re-opening during the pandemic.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about the pandemic’s impact on small businesses.
- 2021 – Telly Award for TV show about racial disparities in COVID-19 healthcare.
- 2020 – TBABJ Best Online Story Award for video about Sarasota’s first Black mayor.
- 2020 – TBABJ awarded thousands of dollars in scholarships to students of color for the social justice series I oversaw that aired on Tampa’s PBS TV station.
- 2018 – TBABJ First Place Radio Feature Award for “Telling Tampa Bay Stories” series.
Virtual Tour Producer
University of South Florida Tampa, FL 6/18-5/19
- Produced 360-degree photo shoots and videos to showcase USF colleges on VR campus tour for the Innovative Education department.
- Edited VR photos and videos with Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro for YouVisit virtual tour platform.
- Strategized with USF college leaders and subject matter experts to craft messaging and visuals for virtual tour.
- Wrote scripts and produced audio recording sessions to enhance virtual tours.
WFLA NBC 8 Tampa, FL 11/13-11/16
- Developed, launched, and oversaw five new newscasts on traditional and virtual sets in America’s 11th largest TV market for Tampa’s NBC station.
- Wrote hundreds of hours of conversational and informative scripts about complex issues.
- Interviewed and collaborated with subject matter experts to produce video segments.
- Trained producers to write conversational and impactful news scripts.
- Trained producers to strategically craft TV shows to increase Nielsen ratings.
- Worked with graphic design team to create compelling visuals to enhance storytelling.
- Assigned videographers and directed video editors.
- Worked closely with director to lead live breaking news coverage.
- Enhanced workflow with promotions department and enabled team to drive ratings by working ahead to discover compelling stories earlier in the editorial process.
Assistant News Director
San Diego Union-Tribune U-T TV San Diego, CA 5/12-10/13
- Managed team of executive producers, content creators, engineers, producers and social media managers in America’s 28th largest TV market that won five Emmy Awards.
- Trained 125 print and digital journalists on broadcast and social platforms.
- Launched TV station from the ground up as U-T TV’s first executive producer.
- Hired team of 65 that included managers, talent, producing staff, and production crew.
- Led build of state-of-the-art digital TV facility and live streaming platform.
- Created and oversaw a $5.5 million budget.
KGTV ABC 10 San Diego, CA 9/09-3/12
- Won an Emmy Award for a newscast that I helped create.
- Wrote hundreds of hours of scripts that aired on in one of America’s largest TV markets.
- Interviewed subject matter experts and conducted research to simplify complex topics.
- Published AP-style web stories and photos on 10news.com.
- Line produced live morning and midday newscasts.
Certifications & Trainings
- Articulate 360: Interactive Learning 2021
- Articulate Storyline Essential Training 2021
- CITI Social and Behavioral Responsible Conduct of Research 2021.
- Hootsuite Platform Certification 2020.
- Mobile Journalism Certification earned at the Knight Center for Journalism 2019.
- Online Instructor Certification earned at the University of South Florida 2017.
- Camtasia Instructor Certification earned at the University of South Florida 2017.
- Presented the keynote address at the Mobile Movie Days MOJO conference in the Netherlands, Oct. 2019 about how mobile journalism is exposing injustices, breaking stereotypes and making a positive impact in our communities.
- Featured on panel to discuss how to use innovative technology to fight fake news and misinformation at the Mobile Movie Days MOJO conference in the Netherlands, Oct. 2019.
- Presented session about producing student TV news broadcasts during a pandemic at the National High School Journalism Convention Nov. 2020.
- Prepared and led mobile video and selfie journalism workshop at the Florida College System Publications Association Conference in Tampa, Nov. 2019.
- Taught mobile storytelling workshop at the Florida College System Publications Association Conference in Tampa, Jan. 2019.
- PhD in Curriculum and Instruction in Instructional Technology at the University of South Florida – present
- Master of Arts in Digital Journalism & Design at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg – 2015
- Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Broadcast News at the University of South Florida Tampa – 2010
- Instructional design
- Curriculum development
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Audition
- Adobe Photoshop
- Canvas LMS
- Canva graphic design
- WordPress design
- Script writing
- Student assessment
- Multi-camera production
- Mobile storytelling
- Studio production
- Social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat)
- Multimedia storytelling
- Video editing
- Emerging technology
- Public speaking
- Remote workplace communication
- Box CMS
- Copy writing and editing