WHAT TV NEWS LOOKS LIKE TO VIEWERS:
HOW IT’S MADE:
I produced the 7 p.m. show that aired on WFLA 12/09/15. This show is big on consumer news so I chose a couple of blocks to showcase different ways to tell consumer stories. I put it together very quickly so there’s a lot of room for improvement. For example, there’s too much file video and would be better to use specific images.
Police & Periscope Tease, Toss, PKG & tag
Look for opportunities to use sound
Here you see a story about Adele with a nat pop in the tease SOTVO, then a longer SOT in the story airing in the C-block.
1shot, sotvo script
Don’t be a lazy producer
Example of a lazy script:
- The VO is way too long.
- File video is not necessary when new video exists.
- It’s not new, now, next.
- The new element is added in an on camera tag.
- The producer was lazy by doing an on camera tag instead of showing the Instagram post
- The script is not written to video
How to make it better
- New, now, next.
- Script written to new video.
- Video credited to fans.
- Social media response both written and shown on air.
- The writing is tighter/concise.
writing lower thirds
Lower thirds are also referred to as "supers."
Avoid some acronyms in graphics like the World Health Organization: